Have you ever felt helpless when deleting or changing a read-only file we all did? But worry not if there is a solution to change the read-only files on Chromebook.
In this article, we will explain how to change the read-only files on a Chromebook.
Do you know what read-only files are?
A read-only file typically contains important information that should not be modified, such as system or configuration files.
Well, many people who are non-programmers or have never studied computer systems don’t know what read-only files are.
For them, these are the same documents they get on google docs which they cannot edit. It’s not the case; the read-only files are the ones you cannot delete from your system and can also not amend them.
The user cannot remove or modify them, as it will affect the system. However, in some cases, you would need to change the read-only status.
The most common type of read-only files is the operating system files in almost every Chromebook, which are supposed to stay intact and unaltered.
Why do I have read-only files on a Chromebook?
Unlike a regular PC, In a Chromebook, nearly all the files would be in the read-only format. For a new Chromebook user, it can be highly annoying. But worry not, and it is a regular thing in Chromebooks.
The reason why Chromebooks have read-only files is the limited space. A Chromebook stores all the files and data on cloud storage. Thus, you cannot handle or experience the Data like a regular PC. So to secure all the files, most files on a Chromebook are read-only files.
So, This feature makes things more problematic when someone wishes to change or delete the file. As Chromebooks are not designed for heavy workloads, users get frustrated when the space is limited.
So what would they do when they need to delete only read-only files? Let us see a few steps to change the read-only files in a Chromebook.
Steps to change the read-only files on a Chromebook?
It is straightforward, and you only need to follow these simple steps to change the read-only files.
- Open the app launcher, and you can easily find its icon on the extreme left corner of your Chromebook screen.
- Once you have opened it, there you will see the app drawer. The app drawer in a Chromebook is similar to the Play Store. You can see all the applications installed on your Chromebook there.
- Select the file app/manager from the app drawer.
- Now, all you need to do is right-click on the file, and you will see the option for properties there. Select properties. There, you can change the read-only status by unchecking it.
Once you have unchecked the box, you can quickly delete or change the content of that file. See, it is a very simple
Is it possible to Delete the read-only Chromebook files?
Yes, you can Delete the read-only files on a Chromebook. Let us explore the method for this.
- Open the Google Play app.
- And find File Manager App
- Install the App.
- Open the File Manager App and select the file you want to delete.
How to secure a file on Chromebook?
The best thing about the read-only feature is security; you can have a great sense of security while using the Chromebook. For a parent, it would be an excellent option for security.
Let us see this feature of a Chromebook for the safety of the content. If you wish to secure a file that is not with the read-only attribute on a Chromebook, then you must follow these steps.
- Select the app launcher.
- Then open the original location of that file to secure it.
- Then right-click on the file, and check the read-only attribute of that file.
- This way, no one can alter that file.
Changing the read-only file in chrome is a routine matter for a Chromebook user. However, for new users, this read-only thing would be very annoying. In this article, we have tried to sort out this matter.
Luckily, the user interface of a Chromebook is pretty convenient to use. So the above-discussed methods are very easy to follow.
- How to screenshot an MSI laptop? - March 21, 2023
- Is it possible to stream Twitch with 3G? - March 15, 2023
- How to record your screen on a Dell Laptop? - March 14, 2023